Demos and Tutorials (Legacy)
This section collects tutorials and demo videos for CosmoSim.
These video and pdf tutorials were created by Kristin Riebe for the previous version of CosmoSim archive based on PhP Daiquiri. Nevertheless, they will be of use to you and gets you started. The interface design of the Query interface is very similar, as well show you basic steps how to work with the data.
We also created a GAVO tutorial with examples for dealing with simulation databases, using CosmoSim. Download the current pdf-version directly from the GAVO webpage: Simulations-Tutorial. And here’s another version concentrating on extracting density fields: Density fields and dark matter halos tutorial.
- Demo video: First steps with CosmoSim mp4 (54MB) and full version (161MB)
- Demo video: Interaction with Topcat (37MB) and full version (79MB)
- Tutorial (pdf): Simulation databases and Topcat, includes querying and plotting mass functions, halo particles, cosmological web information and first steps with scripted access.
- Tutorial (pdf): Density fields and dark matter halos, with CosmoSim and Topcat, produced for a teacher workshop. Includes Gnuplot examples for plotting with Gnuplot instead of Topcat.
- Tutorial (pdf): Introduction to UWS. Explains, how to query online-databases supporting UWS (like CosmoSim) from the command line.