This section collects tutorials and demo videos for CosmoSim.
For an introduction to SQL in general, look at the Code Academy SQL course.
We also created a GAVO tutorial with examples for dealing with simulation databases, using CosmoSim. Download the current pdf-version directly from the GAVO webpage: Simulations-Tutorial. And here’s another version concentrating on extracting density fields: Density fields and dark matter halos tutorial.
- Example for interacting with Topcat via SAMP: Topcat and SAMP
- Demo video: First steps with CosmoSim
- Demo video: Interaction with Topcat
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Very useful questions
- Tutorial (pdf): Simulation databases and Topcat, includes querying and plotting mass functions, halo particles, cosmological web information and first steps with scripted access.
- Tutorial (pdf): Density fields and dark matter halos, with CosmoSim and Topcat, produced for a teacher workshop. Includes Gnuplot examples for plotting with Gnuplot instead of Topcat.
- Tutorial (pdf): Introduction to UWS. Explains, how to query online-databases supporting UWS (like CosmoSim) from the command line.
For accessing the database via the command line, also see this Blog post on CosmoSim shell scripts for example scripts that can help you get started.